Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Upside

Last week I had a night out at the nations in Lund (nations are for another post, but they're student clubs that are sort of like co-ed frats). I read the bus schedule wrong and at about 12:30 realized I was stranded in town without my bike and without any buses until 6am. I could of course walk, but alone as a female? And probably an hour+ to get home? No thanks. I broke down and got a taxi.

I got to talking with the driver, who said he had been living in Sweden for 12 years but was originally from Kosovo. I told him I was American and he said, "Ooh! I love Americans! Your country helped us so much during the war!" I told him I was surprised, that most people don't like us OR our country. He said absolutely not, he thinks Americans are the best! Halfway home, only 80 kronor later (about $12) he stopped the meter and gave me a 50% discount. WOW.

I tipped him generously, but for once there's an upside to being American!

No comments:

Post a Comment