Monday, September 5, 2011

Full-time Student

I just finished my first week of school. It feels strange to be reading academic literature, studying in University lounges, and listening to lectures while taking notes. I enjoy it though. The structure suits me, I like knowing what is expected of me and knowing what is coming next.

So far it doesn't seem too difficult. Maybe I'll be eating my words later in the semester, but right now I don't have that crazy-overwhelmed-thisisn'tpossible feeling that I had during almost all of my undergraduate career. We have one course at a time, so while you have plenty to do, you're not juggling multiple syllabi at one time. The reading load is formidable - you have to sit down every day and work towards it, but if you're smart it's completely possible (unlike so many grad programs where people say the readings just cannot be done). It seems like there will be a group project every week, but I sincerely like my co-students (as Dan calls them) and I don't mind working with them.

At this point, I'm glad I made this decision. My closest friends tell me there aren't good and bad decisions, just decisions. But right now this feels like a good decision not just for my career and future but for my current activities. Ask me again when I'm writing another thesis and we'll see what the real verdict is!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Stephanie,

    I'm thinking of going to study the Ms in Welfare Policies and Management at Lund University next year. I would really apreciate if you could answer me some questions about your experience so far. My email is jespasareig@gmail.com.

    Thank you very much.

    Best,


    Josep

    ReplyDelete